Western Mutual Media Room
Western Mutual Blog
On October 21, 2019 | By Western Mutual Blog
Will My Policy Cancel When I Sell My Home?
We understand the excitement of moving and the stress of having to pack that comes when selling your home; so we try to make it as easy as possible to cancel your policy when the time comes.
Things to remember is that only you-the named insured- can cancel your policy.
Once an escrow closing date has been set for your property, call customer service to request a cancellation form. We will email/mail the form to you which requires your signature and date of cancellation (escrow closing date). Send it back and we will do the rest. The cancellation will be processed and you’ll get notification that it was completed. Any unused premium will be sent to you within 14 days.
Don’t forget, ask about getting your new home insured by us! We would love to keep your business.
On October 14, 2019 | By Western Mutual Blog
Time to D.I.Y.
As we watch the leaves change colors, feel the nights get a bit colder and make our home smell like cinnamon and pumpkin, take time to do some D.I.Y around your home. Small things can make a big difference in getting your home ready to host your family for the holidays, or a movie night in cuddled up on the couch.
Something as easy as collecting pine cones and pine needles to fill an old vase for an easy centerpiece. Empty out that Mason jar and top it off with Reese’s for the perfect candy display that everyone will love. Dust off your coffee tray and lay a bed of fall leaves as the base for your scented candles. Take an old white sheet and tie-dye it black to make a spooky table runner that looks like a spider web. And of course, most of all, enjoy these moments with your loved ones.
On October 07, 2019 | By Western Mutual Blog
Energy Saving Tips
Knowing how to save energy doesn’t just mean turning off all the lights and having the thermostat set to an ideal temperature; but learning how some small changes could also save you big money this winter season.
Here are some helpful tips on staying warm without burning a hole in your pocket:
- Use weather stripping, quilted curtains and draft stoppers on your doors to insulate your home to help keep the heat in.
- Set thermostat as low as comfortably possible, try using layered clothes and blankets as oppose to raising the thermostat temperature
- Unplug all appliances and electronics that are easy to plug in and use when needed such as phone chargers, coffee makers, hair tools and gaming systems.
- Replace the heater’s filter as often as recommended by the manufacturer
- Have air vents professionally cleaned to ensure that the maximum air flow is entering the home
On September 30, 2019 | By Western Mutual Blog
Prepare for the Rainy Season
Rain, rain, go away. If only that worked!
As the rainy season approaches we would like to remind everyone about some precautionary things you can do to make sure your home is ready.
- Check your roof for any lifted or damaged shingles where water could seep through.
- Clean out gutters by removing all debris that is blocking the draining of water.
- Check for any dead overhanging branches, which may catch fire or fall onto the house and cause damage.
- Do an interior inspection of walls and look for signs of existing water damage.
- Keep sandbags ready to go in case you have to reroute the flow of water away from your home.
On September 23, 2019 | By Western Mutual Blog
First Day of Fall
Do you feel the crispness in the air? You might not, but know that the fall season has officially commenced! Regardless if stores have lined their shelves full of pumpkins and fall décor since July, today is the official start of autumn! The traditions of the season we most look forward to are football games & tailgates, sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner with family, gatherings with loved ones and shorter daylight hours which allow us to spend quality time indoors. To this we say, Happy Fall Y’all!
Do you and your family have any fall traditions? Please share them with us below!
On September 16, 2019 | By Western Mutual Blog
Is your home ready for the next big one?
Although earthquakes are unpredictable and years can go by without feeling one, being ready at all times is a must! Everyone knows to take cover and wait it out, but what do you do once the shaking has stopped, will you be ready? A few very important reminders:
- Try to maintain close to a full tank of gas in your car at all times (or in portable containers) as gas stations will not operate after a big earthquake.
- Share your phone location with family and/or friends so that in the midst of havoc, you can still find each other.
- Along with your first aid kit and back up food supply keep a portable charger that can keep your phone alive a little bit longer to call for help.
- Check under your sinks for cracks or leakages to make sure you won’t be leaving the house and coming back to a flooded home.
- Be ready for aftershocks! Although checking for damages is important, know that aftershocks are more than certain so be prepared to exit or take cover.
On September 09, 2019 | By Western Mutual Blog
Am I Getting the Lowest Premium Possible?
Here are some tips on how to check that you’re getting the lowest premium possible:
- Do you have a 24 hour monitored alarm system that calls into a central office for burglary or fire, we give a credit for that.
- Are you enrolled for our paperless billing through our online website, if you aren’t… you might want to, because we offer a credit for that too.
- Keeping up maintenance on your home, good job! Keep that up, we offer a credit for policies that have been claims free for 5 years.
- And of course, increasing your deductible is the easiest way to lower your premium, call and get a quote on your policy today.
On September 02, 2019 | By Western Mutual Blog
Summer, as we know it, has come to a close. For all intents and purposes, the Monday of Labor Day weekend marks the close of the season! Since today serves as most people’s Sunday, we send you positive vibes as your holiday weekend comes to a close and you enter into your first week of September! Soak up the rays today but look forward to enjoying the fall festivities that lie ahead. Pumpkin Spice season, sweater weather and the magic of the holiday season is just around the corner!
How are you spending your last weekend of summer?
On August 26, 2019 | By Western Mutual Blog
Summer Comes to a Close
“…and all at once, summer collapsed into fall.”
– Oscar Wilde
As the summer months come to a close, we reflect back to the long warm evenings, fun times outdoors, and the vacations / staycations had! While technically the fall season does not start until the end of September, Labor Day weekend serves as the “unofficial end of summer” to many. Take time to soak up the remainder of the month and enjoy your long holiday weekend with family and friends!
Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall!
On August 19, 2019 | By Western Mutual Blog
Back to School
It’s time to dust off your backpacks…school is back in session! August marks “National Back to School Month” and has been observed since the 1960s. It is a time to organize your new school supply list, learn your class schedule and prep for the year ahead. In addition to prepping school supplies, it is important to get back in the groove of your school night schedule. Acclimate into your traditional sleep routines, make an after-school plan and anticipate allocating time for homework!
How do you and your family prepare for the school year ahead?