Western Mutual Media Room
Western Mutual Blog
On April 16, 2018 | By Western Mutual Blog
Normally, Tax Day is on April 15th but this year, you have until tomorrow to file your 2017 taxes! Since the traditional Tax Day fell on a Sunday and today is Emancipation Day, a public holiday in the District of Columbia, April 17th was declared the official Tax Day of 2018. What should you do with your extra time? Know that it is not too late to contribute to a retirement plan or take a deduction! Be sure to carefully read the fine-print for all actions you plan to take as some accounts have different contribution limits!
Are you looking to save money? Now is the time to take a closer look at our homeowners insurance policies. Visit our website at WesternMutual.com to learn more about our trusted coverages. Prefer talking to real person? Please call us at 877-WMUTUAL and one of our dedicated sales agents can assist you with any questions you may have!
Do you have tips for avoiding the mad dash of Tax Day? Please share them below!
On April 09, 2018 | By Western Mutual Blog
Dog Bite Prevention Week 🐶
This week marks National Dog Bite Prevention Week and is dedicated to educating people on how to prevent it from happening. Dogs are lovable furry friends but it is important to know how to conduct yourself around them or an unfamiliar pup. There are many ways to prevent negative encounters with dogs and we would like to share a few with you:
• Be polite and never approach an unfamiliar dog—especially one who is tied up or confined behind a fence or a yard—as they might see you as a threat or intruder
• Do not pet a dog without letting them see and sniff you first
• Do not disturb a dog while they are sleeping, eating, chewing on a toy or caring for puppies
Also, it is important to be aware of a dog’s body language. A pup who is backing away from you, has his or her ears pulled back, teeth drawn and/or is growling is not one to pet. Make sure you put a safe amount of space between yourself and a dog if you notice these signals which indicate a dog is uncomfortable and feeling threatened. Sometimes small children do not know any better and are often the victim of these unfortunate events. Make sure to educate your family on how to properly interact with furry friends in order to prevent them from occurring.
*Dog bite prevention tips were found on the website of the Humane Society of the United States.
On April 02, 2018 | By Western Mutual Blog
Meet Our Sales Agents
For over 76 years, we have provided quality homeowners insurance coverages to customers. None of this would have been possible without a strong team! Today, we have dedicated agents with extensive homeowners insurance experience available to walk you through purchasing a policy. Whether you already have a policy, are a new homeowner or simply have questions, our agents are on hand to help!
Our team of dedicated sales agents is ready to assist you in selecting the best coverage(s) for you and your family. Your needs are our number one priority and we want to make sure you have an easy sales experience. We know that you have a choice when it comes to working with insurance carriers and our team looks forward to earning your trust and helping you purchase a policy you can count on. More information on policies can be found here.
Are you interested in learning more about a policy with Western Mutual, Residence Mutual or Arizona Home? Please call us at 877-WMUTUAL or visit us online at WesternMutual.com to learn more about the various home insurance policies available to you!
On March 26, 2018 | By Western Mutual Blog
Spring Gardening Ideas
As we are springing forward into the new season, so should our gardens! Now is the time to eliminate the signs of winter and revitalize your shrubs! Channel your green thumbs by cleaning out your gardens and planters of dead leaves and debris (and potentially snow). Try trimming old plants to promote new growth for the upcoming warmer season. Rejuvenate your lawn with seeds/fertilizer and fix surrounding fences and gates.
Are you looking to add new life to barren yards? Lilies, Daffodils, Tulips, Roses, Cherry Blossoms and Fruit Trees are perfect to plant during the month of March. Vegetables such as Corn, Cucumbers, Eggplants, Spinach, Peppers, Pumpkin, Summer Squash and Tomatoes are other options to start planting this season! Happy Spring to you and may your gardens be bountiful this year!
Do you have any gardening tips and tricks for us? Please share them in the comments below!
On March 19, 2018 | By Western Mutual Blog
Home Safety Tips
Security is an important aspect of daily life for any homeowner. Your home is where you and your loved ones reside, pets roam and valuables are stored. Keeping with the motto of “it is better to be safe than sorry,” we advise you and your family to familiarize yourselves with some home safety and security tips below. Be prepared and beat home invaders at their game!
- Recently purchase a new home? Don’t forget to change your locks to unwanted guests who may have a copy of the key!
- Make sure your wiring is concealed at home as burglars look for them to cut, disable and illegally enter your home.
- Did you know that burglars like to stake out homes from the safety of large hedges and brush? Eliminate this vantage point and protect your home!
- Are you using the typical hiding spots to conceal your valuables when you are away from home? Get creative and beat burglars at their game!
- Leaving on a vacation? Create the illusion that someone is at home while you are away at play!
- Check to make sure all doors and windows have reliable locks to keep out unwanted visitors! For sliders, place a piece of wood or metal bar the same length as the track of the door in the grooves for extra security!
- Keep drapes and blinds shut so burglars can’t window shop from your front lawn!
- Always look outside before opening the door, especially if you hear weird noises in the middle of the night.
- Have friends or neighbors be on the lookout for packages, newspapers or trash bins left out in front of your home as they are clear signs of your absence!
Do you have any home safety and security tips you would like to add? Please share them in the comments below!
On March 12, 2018 | By Western Mutual Blog
Why Do You Need Homeowners Insurance?
As a homeowner or renter, you can appreciate the importance of home. It houses your family, furry friends, memories and worldly possessions. Unfortunately, in the event of a fire, flood, earthquake or other natural disaster, all of your memories could be lost in the blink of an eye. It is important to protect you and yours and properly insure your home.
Unlike driving a car, you are not legally obligated to own a home without homeowners insurance. However, if you finance your home with a mortgage, your lender will most likely require you to have home insurance coverage to protect your home in the case of damage caused by unforeseen circumstances. Check out our various policies by state here.
Don’t hesitate to call us at 877-WMUTUAL (877-968-8825) or visit us online at WesternMutual.com to learn more about how we can help protect your home in the event of a natural disaster.
On March 07, 2018 | By Western Mutual Blog
Western Mutual Turns 76!
Today marks Western Mutual Insurance Group’s 76 year! Established in 1942, Western Mutual began as a county mutual fire insurer in the state of California. In 1949 Residence Mutual Insurance Company, part of the Western Mutual Insurance Group, was founded. Our subsidiary, Arizona Home Insurance Company, was added in 1990. For 76 years, Western Mutual Insurance Group has provided premier homeowners insurance coverages, friendly service, and educated agents who are determined to make our customer’s experience an easy one.
This past year has been a busy one of highs and lows. We were honored to be named to Ward’s Top 50 List of top performing property and casualty insurance carriers for the sixth straight year, and have our Superior A+ Rating by A.M. Best affirmed for the fifth consecutive year. We also were privileged to assist in some of the disaster relief from this year, from donating supplies to the Texas Diaper Bank during Hurricane Harvey recovery, to having our adjusters be some of the first on the scene in the aftermath of the Santa Rosa fires.
We continued our community involvement in good times as well, sponsoring a “Patriots & Paws” Golf Tournament to help give back to brave veterans (look for upcoming news on the 2018 Tournament!) and running a holiday Giving Tree for local senior and disabled individuals throughout the holiday season.
We thank you for allowing us to serve you and your family for the past seven decades and look forward to continuing to do so in the future!
On February 26, 2018 | By Western Mutual Blog
Home Cleaning Tips
Spring is right around the corner and with it traditionally comes cleaning! Here is a list of helpful spring cleaning recommendations:
- Properly clean and seal countertops
- Clean and wipe down kitchen and bathroom cabinets
- Wipe and clean down windows, both inside and out
- Clean your bathroom and kitchen tiles with a mixture of baking soda and water
- Organize your closet and donate pieces you haven’t worn in a while
- Wipe off burnt food and scum on your range and oven
- Disinfect your washing machine with white vinegar and baking soda
- Spot clean your walls to keep your paint job looking vibrant
- Pull out your refrigerator’s shelves and drawers to be able to thoroughly wash it with warm and soapy water
- Clean your dishwasher with specialty cleaner to ensure it properly removes grime from your plates and silverware
- Wipe down patio furniture as the warmer months will be here before you know it
- Don’t forget to clean your brooms and cleaning equipment as you can’t expect them to optimally clean if they aren’t clean
Do you have any home cleaning tips? Please share them below!
On February 19, 2018 | By Western Mutual Blog
Today we celebrate our patriotic past by honoring our leaders. Originally established in 1885 to celebrate our first president, George Washington, it is still known as “Washington’s Birthday” by the federal government. In honor of this holiday, below are a few of our favorite presidential quotes:
“Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.” – George Washington
“And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count, it’s the life in your years.” – Abraham Lincoln
“Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
“Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.” – John F. Kennedy
“The American Dream means giving it your all, trying your hardest, accomplishing something. And then I’d add to that, giving something back. No definition of a successful life can do anything but include serving others.” – George H. W. Bush
“Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” – Barack Obama
What are some of your favorite presidential quotes? Please share them below!
On February 12, 2018 | By Western Mutual Blog
What is Homeowners Insurance?
What is homeowners insurance coverage? Homeowners insurance provides you and your family peace of mind and protection in the event of a disaster or accident involving your home. At Western Mutual Insurance Group, we offer our customers standard coverage starting with our preferred homeowners’ protection. Through our reliable homeowners insurance, you will have straightforward coverage that is there when you need it.
(*) Included in our policy with the Homeowners Plus Endorsement are the following benefits:
- Extended Replacement Cost (ERC), which increases your dwelling coverage up to 150% for no additional cost. ERC safeguards against a higher than expected construction cost for damages to your dwelling structure.
- Replacement Cost Coverage on Contents (RCC), helps cover the cost to fully replace your personal property if it is damaged or destroyed by a covered loss.
- Mortgage Payment Protection is built into our homeowners’ policy. This endorsement will help supplement your monthly mortgage up to $1,500 per month for a maximum total of $18,000 in the event your home is deemed uninhabitable past 45 days.
In addition, when applying for a California Homeowners Insurance quote online, you will automatically qualify for our Web User Discount which provides 20% off the first year’s premium and 10% off at the first renewal!
By choosing Western Mutual as your homeowners’ insurance carrier, you will also gain access to our wealth of other homeowners’ insurance products and services such as Earthquake, Flood, Landlord, and Seasonal.
(*) These benefits are included in our California Homeowners (HO-3) policies. For more details about any of our other states or coverages, please give us a call at 1-877-968-8825.